Archive for December, 2009

How do I find government documents?

Thursday, December 10th, 2009

Government documents from 1976 onward (as well as selected older documents) are cataloged in Peak. You can search Peak by keyword and limit the search to federal documents to restrict your search to only government documents. Older documents can be located by using the paper Monthly Catalog of United States Government Publications (Reference Docs GP 3.8/8:). Government documents are kept in various parts of Penrose Library. Paper documents are located in the Docs Stacks (lower level, south side). Docs fiche are located near the Current Periodicals area on the main level. CD-ROMs and other special formats are kept at the Reserve Desk. In addition to these physical formats, the Peak catalog contains tens of thousands of hyperlinks to online documents. Recommended keyword search: http AND your topic.

How do I find books in Penrose Library?

Thursday, December 10th, 2009

You can find books and their call number in a multitude of ways: author, keyword, title, periodical title, author/title, Library of Congress Subject Headings, call numbers or by ISBN or ISSN numbers. There are three levels to the library. Most of the books with call numbers A-P are on the upper level, and most books with call numbers Q-Z are located on the lower level next to the windows. Many books are also located in Reference and Reserve on the main level, and in various oversize and folio sections upstairs and downstairs.

How do I find a capstone project?

Thursday, December 10th, 2009

As of June 2011, University College capstone papers are no longer available via the Electronic Capstone Thesis and Dissertation (ECTD) website.  Students completing capstone projects will continue to upload papers to the site for archival purposes only.  For more information, please see Further questions should be directed to with the subject ‘ECTD Capstone Policy question’.

How do I apply for a faculty carrel?

Thursday, December 10th, 2009

Faculty carrels are located on the upper level and lower levels of the building. They are small rooms with locks on the doors, in which faculty performing research can keep their materials and do their work.

To sign up for a Faculty Carrel, click here!

How can I search other library catalogs?

Thursday, December 10th, 2009

Peak has a feature that allows you to automatically execute a search in another catalog or in Prospector. For example, if you have done a title search on a topic in Peak, but you do not see what you are looking for, links at the top of the search screen will allow you to go directly into the CU, CSU, Auraria, DU-Law, CU-Health Sciences, UNC, or CU-Springs individual library catalogs, or into the Prospector multi-library catalog, to search for similar items.

How can I find out what is on Reserve?

Thursday, December 10th, 2009

You can perform a search of many of our course reserves by using the Course Reserves link under the “Student” tab. Many faculty have started providing electronic reserves to their students. (You will get a password for the readings.) For traditional print reserve readings, you can also search either by your instructor’s name or by course number. Your search will then take you to a listing of items placed on reserve by your instructor, and will give you a unique identifying number which Reserves staff will use to retrieve the item, along with the status of the item in question. If you have more questions, please ask the staff at the circulation desk.

How can I add money to my Pioneer Card?

Thursday, December 10th, 2009

You can add money via a credit card through this online service. The webpage for the Pioneer Card Office is here. You can also use cash by locating the red deposit box on the main level of the library between Quick Copy and the UTS desk. For help or questions using this box, contact the Research Help Desk.

Docs stacks and other government document locations in Peak: Where are these located?

Thursday, December 10th, 2009

The most common locations for U.S. government documents in Peak: The Library Catalog are the following:

  • Docs Stacks = Documents stacks located in the lower lever, south shelving area
  • Microfiche Docs = Documents in microfiche format are located on the main level near the northeast corner of the building. They are kept in the bright white fiche cabinets.
  • Reference Docs = Main level along the wall to the left of the Circulation Desk.
  • Ready Reference Docs = Shelved in the short bookshelves between the Reference Desk and the Interlibrary Loan office. Government documents are on the north side of this shelving area.
  • Internet = The document in online. Click the designated link to access the document.

Other less-commonly used locations are the following:

  • Docs Folio = Large documents too big for shelves. These are kept in the lower level, southeast corner near the maps case.
  • Docs Map Case = Lower level, southeast corner.
  • Cataloging Dept. = Kept in the technical services area. Ask a Reference Librarian for assistance.
  • Reference Tax Docs = Main level in the Reference collection, directly north of the reference desk near the window.
  • Reserve CD Docs = CD-ROMs. Kept behind the Reserve desk. Ask at the Reserve Desk for assistance.
  • Reserve Disk Docs = Floppy disks. Kept behind the Reserve desk. Ask at the Reserve Desk for assistance.
  • Reserve Docs = Paper format documents. Kept behind the Reserve desk. Ask at the Reserve Desk for assistance.
  • Reserve Video Docs = Video cassette recordings. Kept behind the Reserve desk. Ask at the Reserve Desk for assistance.
  • Storage Docs = Documents stored in the Mary Reed Building. Request these documents at the Circulation Desk.
  • PASCAL Off-Site = Documents stored in the PASCAL storage facility.

Do you provide proctoring services?

Thursday, December 10th, 2009

Penrose Library does not offer this service. However, below is a list of places that DO provide proctoring services. Please contact one of them for assistance:

DU Career Center

2050 E. Evans Ave #30; Driscoll South, lower level; The Center for Academic & Career Development.  Fee of $35 per test or exam. Appointments available Monday – Friday 8:00 am – 2:00pm. Call Front Desk to make an appointment 303-871-2150.

Blair-Caldwell African American Research Library, Denver Public Library

2401 Welton Street, Denver, CO 80205. Free. Very limited appointments, subject to staff availability. Call 720-865-2401 for availability and to make an appointment.

Sylvan Learning Centers

Offered at Denver Branch location only – 7400 E. Hampden Ave. #C3 Denver, Colorado 80231 (Hampden & I-25). Fee of $50. A series of exams may also be proctored for the one $50 fee. Available 7 days a week at various times.  Call 303-300-2522 or email for more information.  Please call one day in advance to schedule an appointment.

Community College of Denver (CCD) Testing Center

Auraria Campus Downtown; 1111 W. Colfax Ave; South Classroom Building, Room 223; Denver, CO 80204. Proctoring fees are based on the time allotted to each test by the instructor ($25-$95). Call the Testing Center at 303-556-3810 to schedule appointment. Students must bring a valid picture ID in order to take a test. URL:

Do you have Law materials?

Thursday, December 10th, 2009

Because the University has a separate Law Library across the street, we have very few legal resources here in Penrose. We do have copies of the Colorado Revised Statutes and the US Code in the Reference Collection, along with Statutes at Large and the Code of Federal Regulations. We also provide electronic access to valuable sources of legal and regulatory information, including LexisNexis Congressional, Thomas, GPO Access and other databases as listed in the Databases section of the website. We also have a large collection of government publications which will provide supporting information.